Stumper Detail

Date: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 
Question/Topic: My ancestor homesteaded federal land in Florida in 1847 or 1848. How can I see a record of that transaction? 
Answer/Pointer: You can search the Federal Land Patents through the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Records, General Land Office Records at: I spoke to the Department of Environmental Protection, Division of State Lands, and was told that perhaps the land had first been conveyed to the state and thence to individuals. Telephone the library at (850) 488-8123 and ask to speak to Irene Wilson or Kathy Miklus. They have the original records of the Office of the Surveyor General (U. S. Surveyor General in Florida 1800's to 1910) which they can search for you. 
Librarian: SLF 

Close this Window