||Monday, January 1, 2001
||Tallahassee Democrat - newspapers
||John G. Collins founded The Weekly True Democrat on March 3, 1905. Collins published the newspaper for three years.
The Democrat was then sold to Milton A. Smith and transformed into the Semi-Weekly True Democrat.
Smith produced the Semi-Weekly True Democrat for several years, as well as the Daily Democrat and the
Tallahassee Daily Democrat during legislative sessions. In 1915, the weekly edition was dropped. The
Tallahassee Daily Democrat continued and was purchased by Col. Lloyd C. Griscom in 1929.
In 1949, Griscom changed the name to the Tallahassee Democrat. The Griscom family owned and operated
the paper until 1965, when it was sold to Knight newspapers.
In May 1968, the newspaper moved from the NE corner of Adams and Call streets to a million dollar
building on Magnolia Drive, its present location. At that point, change and growth occurred rapidly.
In 1974, the Tallahassee Democrat became a Knight-Ridder newspaper, with the merger of Knight
newspapers and Ridder Publications.
In 1978, the Democrat converted from an afternoon paper to a morning newspaper.
Older Tallahassee Newspapers:
Tallahassee Sentinel, 1841-1858
Weekly Floridian, 1867-1898
TheState Library of Florida has the above and the entire run of the Democrat on microfilm.
The LeRoy Collins Leon County Public Library has the Democrat on microfilm from July 9, 1924 to the present.
See also Tallahassee Historical Society Annual, Vol. 4, 1939 R+Circ 975.988 T147a v.4, (Ref copy kept in hallway)
p. 23: "Newspapers."
p. 68: "Leon County's Newspapers," by John Kilgore