||Monday, January 1, 2001
||Paradoxical commandments of leadership - Lou Holtz
||Paradoxical Commandments of Leadership
by Lou Holtz [head football coach, University of Notre Dame]
1. People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway.
2. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Do good anyway.
3. If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.
4. The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
5. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.
6. The biggest men with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men
with the smallest ideas. Think big anyway.
7. People favor underdogs, but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
8. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.
9. People really need help, but may attack if you do help them. Help them anyway.
10. Give the world the best you have, and you'll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world
you have anyway.